You have to do stuff that average people don't understand, because those are the only good things
-Andy Warhol

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Der is a Ryt Place 4 Evrything

I believe that English is constantly changing into an indisputable state as it presently keeps doing so. Texism is one of English's hugest influences as words are being abbreviated, phrases are ebing minimized into acronyms, and emotions are being expressed into alpha-numerical-symbolic facial expressions (also known as emoticons). When I was given my first cellphone, I felt that having to include numbers to replace vowels in some words, misspelling letters as a pun-reference, capitalizing random letters and inventing hybrid-words would reflect my creative personality and gave a technological feel to it. As I matured, I realized that it was unnecessary and doing so made no difference to the point I was proving, and I have also confused the reader. However I still use some abbreviations to directly respond to the sender within the touch of a few buttons in order to save time.
In response to the topic's question, I don't find texism as a degradation to English but I believe that it is a tool of simplification and there is a right time and place to use it.

Texting was invented as an excuse for not returning calls (plus its cheaper), and I find amusement in using abbreviation as slang during informal situations. However, when I talk to my superiors, or in my homework, I refrain from doing so in order to appear professional, reliable, and as a form of respect. For example,  if I emailed my manager "I'm afraid I cant involb int da voluntyr nxt w-day coz i 4got i had a dentist appt. srry" would this prove that I am intelligent and in accordance to the trend? I don't think so.

Secondly, simplifying classic literature, such as Shakespeare's works,  into texism and abbreviations, I believe, is also unacceptable. For example, the fact that students learn poetry is so that they can develop a deeper thinking within the elaboration of its statement, and therefore create their own individuality through creating different translations. This practice just promotes laziness and impatience.

Maybe it's because humans haven't fully integrated into this new language, but languages will change eventually. History determines it, as humans before have developed from using Old English to the modern English. For now, texism is just an invention for convenience sake in order to save time, or, within a group of peers, for fun. I close by saying: Dis wuz fun, myb 4 fun's sak3 l3ts mk3 a powrfull essay thru texisms. BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHA =D!

3 comments:

  1. (*face palm*) Okay there are so many grammatical and spelling errors that I have not noticed earlier before, so forgive my ignorance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with that third paragraph; compressing Shakespeare's works into a few short lines is just an atrocity of the highest degree. His works are so great because of all the intricate details, imagery, and puns that he weaves into his poems. It's like taking everything out of the Amazon and leaving nothing but the river; Shakespeare just isn't Shakespeare without all those little bits and pieces that make his work fascinating and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roena, your comment on your own post makes me laugh. However, I'm glad you caught those mistakes!

    ReplyDelete